Thursday, November 18, 2010

Brownies From Scratch

Allison asked me yesterday, "Mom, do you think we could have a treat in our lunches?"
"I put treats in your lunches every once in a while" I said.
She looked at me funny, "Mom, really?  When was the last time?"
"Okay, okay" I replied. "What treats do you want in your lunch?"
"Brownies!"

I am not a big fan of brownies - especially because of the ingredients on the box mix.  (Partially hydrogenated oil for instance).

So I searched for a brownie recipe from scratch and found a winner!!!!  Seriously - these are really easy and good!  I admit that I was to lazy to sift anything - it still turned out great.  These taste better the next day for some reason.  Resist eating them right out of the oven.
Here ya go!


Cocoa Brownies

Ingredients

  • Soft butter, for greasing the pan
  • Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar, sifted
  • 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
  • 8 ounces melted butter
  • 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup flour, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.
Alton Brown : food network
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS