Monday, February 18, 2008

The Best Clam Chowder

Hands down, this is the best Clam Chowder I have ever had.  Seriously delish!  You need to try this before the weather turns warm.
The Best Clam Chowder
  • 3 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 2 cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 quart half and half cream
  • 2 Tbl red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes, and carrots.  Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Whisk in flour until smooth.  Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth (this takes a little while, but be patient).  Stir in vegetables.  Heat through, but do not boil.
  3. Stir in clams just before serving.  If they cook too much they get tough.  When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
As far as clams go, I bought the big 51 oz chopped sea clams at Costco.  I added half of 1 can to my soup.  Then you can freeze the rest until you make it again.  This way you get the best bang for your buck.
I use an electric chopper to chop up all the vegetables because I don't like them big and chunky in my soup.  It's best to have all ingredients prepped and ready before you begin.  

4 comments:

Megan said...

Yummy! Thanks Melissa. I love clam chowder. I will make this tomorrow!

The Ferrins said...

Im not into clam chowder but that cake looked good! I thought I'd say hi and invite you to check out our blog...
www.mesaferrins.blogspot.com

Heather C. said...

I love clam chowder! It's my favorite thing to eat on a snowy winter day. I insist on bread bowls to go with it, it's so much more fun to eat.

Megan said...

we made this last night! It was VERY good!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS